- Meticulously restored architectural masterpiece designed by G.T. Marsh
- Completely renovated in 2007; new electrical, plumbing, mechanical systems, paint, decking, bathrooms, kitchens
- Ground floor well suited for retail, office, or residence
- Second floor includes three completely remodeled apartments
- Carefully maintained traditional Japanese and Chinese gardens, each with water features and specimen trees
- Offered well below replacement cost
Mahoney & Associates is proud to offer for sale the meticulously restored architectural masterpiece that is the 700 Camino El Estero, which is located at the gateway to downtown Monterey. Built in 1927, the 700 Camino El Estero was designed as a wealthy merchants residential compound utilizing the Chinese architectural characteristics of Szech'uan design. The large two-story building and surrounding 12' parameter wall entirely encompass the entire parcel.
Completely renovated in 2007, 700 Camino El Estero includes approximately 5,540 SF on the ground floor and 3,596 SF on the second floor. The ground floor is comprised of an entry hall, main gallery, Japanese wing, gallery, offices, vault, tea room, kitchen, restrooms, work room, and private garage with mezzanine. The second floor is comprised of three residential units, each with private street access. All three of the residential units have been completely renovated with new flooring, bathrooms, kitchens and mechanical systems. The first unit is a 3 bedroom 2 bath with views of El Estero Lake. The second unit is a 1 bedroom 1 bath with an ornate set of oriental swinging doors to the bedroom. The third unit is an upscale studio with private access to a 1,500 SF deck.
Within the 12' parameter walls are a formal Japanese garden and formal Chinese garden, each with distinctive water features and specimen trees. The owner concentrated on the philosophical and religious concept of roof treatment being the most definitive factor in establishing the character of the compound he wished to create. The two story portion of the building is sited at the rear of the entry to the building, in the traditional way, and the gable ends received the dominant gable-end distinguishing roof treatment. The rest of the building is single storied with gable-end roof treatment on the centrally located entry hall only. The most important theme is on the two story residential wing, with scalloped verges depicting distinct cloud forms. As built the verges are shaped to form three rows of these undulating clouds. The gable-end structures are at both roof ends and cover the barrel shaped roof. The roof covering is composed of custom, sky blue, Chinese tiles laid to create a distinct relief. The tiles are terminated at the eave ends with yellow glazed pan tiles which are interspersed with polychrome ceramic dragon heads.
Marsh's Oriental Art Store was historically significant because of its association with the important historic events in Monterey in 1928 when the City was emerging from its long history of rudderless direction and deeply depressed economics. The critical time in 1915, saw the arrival of S.F.B.Morse and Herbert Fleishhacker, developers from San Francisco who purchased the vast holdings of the Pacific Improvement Company from The Big Four, Crocker, Stanford, Huntington and Mark Hopkins as they were no longer motivated to continue their development in the Monterey area. By 1924 the large, old hotel had burned and Morse had begun to rebuild and expand his new enterprises. G.T. Marsh arrived at this time and could see what was happening in this area and determined to open his last and most important Art Store there to participate in this potential new energy which was to change the Monterey area from its seemingly hopeless economic and cultural deprivation to a major tourist destination.
The G.T. Marsh Building compound is situated at the principle Highway entrance to the City of Monterey. It covers a thumb shaped lot which is bordered on the east by Camino El Estero and the lovely Lake Estero, on the north by the old Presidio parade grounds, on the west by Cortes Street and the Royal Presidio Chapel, built in 1794, and the oldest church in continuous service in California, and finally on the south by Fremont Street. The G.T. Marsh Building, in conjunction with the Chapel since 1928, have been a focal point at the City's threshold and continues to define the unique multi-cultural character of the community.